A passport renewal can be completed by mail via Form DS-82 if all of the following regarding your most recent U.S. passport are true:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card with this application.
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent U.S. passport book and/or passport card was issued.
- I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book and/or passport card less than 15 years ago.
- The U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card that I am renewing has not been mutilated, damaged, lost, stolen or subsequently found.
- My U.S. passport has not been limited from the normal ten year validity period due to passport damage/mutilation, multiple passport thefts/losses, or non-compliance with 22 C.F.R. 51.41. (Please refer to the back pages of your U.S. passport book for endorsement information).
- I use the same name as on my most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card.
- I have had my name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper certified documentation to reflect my name change.
If you are eligible to renew by mail via Form DS-82 there is no need to come in and no appointment necessary. However, if you are coming in for a new passport photo or are not eligible to renew by mail please schedule an appointment.
For more renewal information please visit Travel.State.Gov.