General Information
Phone Numbers
(651) 638-2120
Emergencies: Dial 911
803 Old Hwy 8 NW
Suite 1 (Lower Level)
New Brighton,

Routine Service: Up to 8-11 Weeks
Expedite Service $60: Up to 5-7 Weeks
Monday - Friday: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Sunday: Closed
Upcoming Closures: July 4th

Passport FAQ

No answers matched your search
Passport Book and Card
What's the difference between the passport book and the passport card?


Passport Book: Valid for all domestic travel as well as international travel by air, sea or land.

Passport Card: Valid for all domestic travel including when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. It is not valid for international travel by air.

Size: A passport book is larger in size at 4.9 X 3.4 inches and can vary in thickness from the 32-page regular size book for most travelers to the 52-page large book which holds extra pages for avid travelers. The passport card on the other hand is another form of citizenship and ID, is waterproof and the size of a credit card that can fit right in your wallet.

Expiration: Whether you choose the passport book or the passport card an adult passport is good for 10 years and a minor’s passport is good for 5 years.

Price: As of December 27th 2021 an adult’s passport book and card are $130 and $30 where as a minor’s passport book and card are $100 and $15.

When is the best time to get a passport?

Understanding when to get a passport depends on two major factors: the date of your planned trip and the time of the year. 

In general, you’d want to avoid peak holiday times that could cause passport applications to surge. Think of all the major travel times to get an idea:

  • Spring break: April, May, June
  • Summer vacations: May, June, July,
  • Labor Day
  • Winter holidays: November and December

There’s a good chance you might apply during these times and run into no issues regarding waiting time for your passport. It really depends on the influx of applications and the staff working to process them.

But do you really want to take any chances? Probably not. So, if you’re trying to decide when to get a passport, do it before you even plan a trip – preferably, several months out.

Apply for a passport when you don’t need it and you’ll be glad you have it ready to go.

What application form should I use?

Please complete this questionnaire on the U.S. Department of State's website to determine which form you need.

Passport Forms

What documents do I need to get a passport?

To receive a new passport or replace a lost or damaged passport, you must come in person to our office and bring the following:

  1. Completed DS-11 Passport Application Form (single-sided with black ink)
  2. Applicant’s full Social Security number required on form
  3. Proof of citizenship (copy and original required) 
  4. Proof of identity (front and back copy and original required)
  5. Passport photo—one 2 inch by 2 inch color photo with a solid white background. Photos can be taken at the New Brighton Passport Office for $15.
  6. Passport fees—eachapplicant should have separate checks payable to the U.S. Department of State and the City of New Brighton. 
    • U.S. Department of State fee: Check or money order only. Credit/debit cards NOT accepted.
      • A separate check is required for each application
    • City of New Brighton fee: Check, money order, or cash only. Credit/debit cards NOT accepted.
      • All returned checks payable to the City of New Brighton are subject to a $30.00 charge. 

Helpful Videos

Applying for a child's passport  

Applying in person for a U.S. passport    

Can I renew my expired passport here?

Envelope passport book and tickets.No. If you are renewing your passport with Form DS-82, we will not take your application. However, Schedule Your Appointment and we can assist you with a new photo for your passport renewal. The cost is $15 for two photos payable by cash or check only to the City of New Brighton.  

You must mail in your renewal application (Form DS-82) yourself. We recommend you ask USPS to send your Form DS-82 and supporting documents using a trackable delivery method. Do not use UPS, FedEx, or DHL since the address you need to send your Form DS-82 and supporting documents to is a Post Office (PO) Box. 

Visit the U.S. Department of State online to complete the paperwork and confirm what documents should be mailed in together. 

Still not sure if you can renew your passport? John's story summarizes the requirements on how to renew your passport.

When is the best time to renew my passport?

Passport book and renewal formRenew your passport approximately 9-12 months before it expires. Certain countries require passports to remain valid for up to 6 months after your last day of travel in order to allow entry. Also, some airlines will not allow you to book a flight or board if you don't meet this requirement.

What do I need to change my name on my passport?

Every situation is different however you'll need to complete either form DS-82 or form DS-5504, then submit your certified court order, marriage certificate or divorce decree, submit a new photo, and possibly repay the fees for the passport and/or card you would like in the new name. More information is available at the U.S. Department of State website.

Form DS-82Form DS-5504 

How long is the passport good for?

Both the passport book and card are good for 10 years from the time they are issued for adults. A minor's passport book and card is only good for 5 years. 

U.S. Passport Book and Card

Can I use my passport book or passport card instead of the REAL ID or the Enhanced ID when flying within the U.S.?

Yes! For the purpose of getting on a domestic flight within the United States you will be able to board the flight with your passport book or card instead of a getting Minnesota's REAL ID or Enhanced ID.

View the comparison chart.

*Minnesota has an extension for REAL ID enforcement, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver’s licenses and identification cards from Minnesota at Federal facilities, nuclear power plants and federally regulated commercial aircraft until May 3, 2023.

What is the Next Generation Passport?

The new passport is a modernized U.S. passport book which we started issuing in 2021. While our previous electronic passports (ePassports) are secure, the Next Generation Passport book (NGP) uses new technologies to produce a more robust passport with enhanced security features, such as a polycarbonate data page, laser-engraved personalization, and updated artwork.

We are only issuing the NGP for passport books. We will soon upgrade and modernize our other document, the passport card.

PLEASE NOTE: It is possible that for a family of applicants applying at the same time, some may receive an NGP book and some may not. We will not replace one for the other: all of the passports being printed are valid for travel. Eventually the previous version of the passport book will be phased out.

To learn more click here

My Passport is expired, but my Visa is not. Is my Visa still valid?

It is very common that a visa will outlive a passport, as some countries offer visas that are good for as long as 10 years. In these cases, you should have no difficulty travelling with a new passport and the expired passport with the valid visa.

Do you take passport photos? Printed or digital?

Yes, we take passport photos here! You can choose two identical passport photos or a digital photo emailed to you for $15 each. You can also choose both the printed photo and the digital photo combo for $25. 

passport book and photos

What are the passport photo requirements?

You must provide one photo with your passport application. For detailed information visit the U.S. Department of State's website.

Photo Basics

  1. Submit a color photo, taken in last 6 months
  2. Use a clear image of your face. Do not use filters commonly used on social media.
  3. Have someone else take your photo. No selfies.
  4. Take off your eyeglasses for your photo.
  5. Use a plain white or off-white background

Resolution, Print Size, and Quality

  • Submit a high resolution photo that is not blurry, grainy, or pixelated.
  • The correct size of a passport photo is:
    • 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) 
    • Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
  • Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
  • Do not digitally change the photo
  • You cannot submit a damaged photo with holes, creases, or smudges.

Pose and Expression

  • Have a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open. 
  • Face the camera directly with full face in view. 
  • Note to parents of young children: we have sample photos in the Photo Examples section below with tips for submitting a baby's passport photo. We realize that an infant's pose and expression are challenging to maintain for a photo. 


  • You cannot wear glasses.
    • If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with application.
  • Taken in clothing normally worn on a daily basis.
  • You cannot wear a uniform, clothing that looks like a uniform, or camouflage attire. 
  • You cannot wear a hat or head covering.
    • If you wear a hat or head covering for religious purposes, submit a signed statement that verifies that the hat or head covering in your photo is part of traditional religious attire  worn continuously in public.
    • If you wear a hat or head covering for medical purposes, submit a signed doctor's statement verifying the hat or head covering in your photo is used daily for medical purposes.
    • Your full face must be visible and your hat or head covering cannot obscure your hairline or cast shadows on your face.
  • You cannot wear headphones or wireless hands-free devices.
  • You can wear jewelry and keep on your facial piercings as long as they do not hide your face. Permanent tattoos are acceptable for passport purposes as well. 
Can I bring my own photo?

Yes, you can bring your own passport photo, however, be mindful unless it is taken at a passport agency it may not meet U.S. Department of State requirements.

Passport Photo Examples
General Information
How much is a passport?

Effective December 27, 2021

Fee Description 

 Adult (16 & older)

 Child (15 & younger)

U.S. Department of 

State Fee

City of New 

Brighton  Fee

U.S. Department of 

State Fee

City of New

Brighton  Fee

Passport Book





Passport Card





Book/Card Combo





Passport Photo







Express Mail

Subject to postal rates

Subject to postal rates

Overnight Delivery Return (books only)



* U.S. State Department and City of New Brighton fees must be paid separately.

What forms of payment do you accept?

U.S. Department of State: A separate check is required for each application.

  • Checks (personal, certified, cashier's, traveler's) and money orders payable to "U.S. Department of State"
  • Credit and debit cards CANNOT be accepted

City of New Brighton: Can be combined for multiple applicants.

  • Checks (personal, certified, cashier's, traveler's) and money orders payable to "City of New Brighton"
  • Cash
  • Credit and debit cards accepted with a 2.49% fee
All returned checks payable to the City of New Brighton are subject to a $30.00 charge
How long will it take to get my passport?

Current routine service times set by the U.S. Department of State can take 8-11 weeks. Expedite service is $60 more and can take 5-7 weeks. Access the Online Passport Status System to check your application status. It is currently taking up to 4 weeks for applications to be trackable online. Additionally, you may call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or TDD/TTY at 1-888-874-7793. Please note once the application is sent to the state we are prohibited from inquiring on it for you.

Can I get my passport faster?

ExpediteExpedite is available for an additional $60 and can take 5-7 weeks from the date of application.

Emergencies that require your passport be rushed sooner than 2-3 weeks contact the Minneapolis Passport Agency. To apply at the agency, you must schedule an appointment by calling toll-free at 877-487-2778, 24 hours a day. When you make the appointment you must let them know you are planning on applying at the Minneapolis Passport Agency. For additional information visit the U.S. Department of State Website

If you select Expedited Service, we recommend you send your application using USPS' Priority Mail Express

I already applied for my passport where is it?

Check Online! Access the Online Passport Status System to check your application status. It is may take 4-6 weeks for applications to be trackable online. Additionally, you may call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or TDD/TTY at 1-888-874-7793. Please note once the application is sent to the state we are prohibited from inquiring on it.

What color pen can I use?

All passport applications must be completed with black ink only

DS-11 Application Black Ink Only

Do you offer notary services?

Yes! Notary services are an additional $5 each time the notary signs a document. This service is payable by cash or check only. Check should be made out to the City of New Brighton. All returned checks payable to the City of New Brighton are subject to a $30.00 charge.    

Signature on Paper

Does the applicant have to be present even if they are a minor?

Yes, regardless of age every applicant is required to appear in person in order to apply for a passport. Please visit the US Department of State website for more information.

Helpful Videos

Applying for a child's passport  

Applying in person for a U.S. passport   

How can I reach the state if I have additional questions or concerns?

For passport questions or concerns please visit or contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or TDD/TTY at 1-888-874-7793.

Where can I get a money order locally?

USPS Money OrderThe New Brighton USPS and Cub Foods both sell money orders in the New Brighton area. Please contact them directly for hours and cost.

Are masks required?

No, masks may now be worn based on personal preference and is no longer required. However, we do ask that if you or someone else attending is not feeling well that you please reschedule your appointment and we'd be happy to help you on another day.

Can I apply at your office if I live outside New Brighton or even outside Minnesota?

Yes, we accept all passport applicants as long as you qualify to apply in person. DS-82 passport applicants who qualify via mail should follow the directions on page two of the DS-82 application to do so.