803 Old Highway 8 NW
Lower Level
New Brighton,

Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm
9:00am - 1:00pm
Enhanced Drivers License Services
Monday-Friday 8am - 4pm

License Bureau FAQs

No answers matched your search
How does the drop box for vehicle registration tab renewals work?

Simply place your renewal notice in the Drop Box before 11:00am and we will have it ready for pick up within 24-hours. This service is available for current Minnesota Residents (No Dealers) who are processing Motor Vehicle Registration ONLY.


  • Enclose your Renewal Notice(s), Check and insurance company name, policy number, and expiration date (MM/DD/YYYY) in one envelope
  • Payment by Check ONLY, payable to The City of New Brighton and must include a current phone number and driver’s license number on check.

*Verify address and Minnesota County on your registration renewal notice.
*If no changes are noted on the renewal notice, it will be assumed that all the information is correct and accurate for processing.

*BEWARE: The person listed on the registration renewal notice must be the one to pick up.

•    DO NOT WAIT IN LINE! Proceed to the counter and find the sign that says “PICK UP.” One of our staff will assist you.
•    Must be the person listed on the registration notice in order to pick up.
•    Must present your Driver’s License or Identification for verification.
** The Deputy Registrar reserves the right to not process tab renewals if information is missing or incorrect.**

What forms of payment do you accept?

We accept cash, local checks, or for an additional 2.49% convenience fee we also accept MasterCard, Visa, and Discover credit or debit cards.

I don't have my prebill, can I still come in and buy tabs?

Yes, if you are the registered owner, come in with your plate number and insurance information (Insurance company name, policy number, and expiration date MM/DD/YYYY). We will print a prebill for you. Electronic insurance information accepted.

What will you accept for insurance on title transfers and tab renewals?

As of January 1st, 2016 you are required to provide your auto insurance company’s name, policy number and expiration date (MM/DD/YYYY). Electronic insurance information accepted.

Where is the Vehicle Registration Tab Renewal drop box located?

The black drop box is located in the lower level of New Brighton City Hall. As you enter the License Bureau it is to your left by the Council Chamber doors.

How can I find out what I paid last year for my registration tabs?

For inquiries about the previous year’s registration cost visit the Driver and Vehicle Services website at dvs.dps.mn.govv and select the “Online Services” tab and then select “Find Tax Paid for a Motor Vehicle

Can I take an exam at your location?

The New Brighton License Bureau is not an exam station. Please click here to search for exam locations near you. For general questions including locations, testing or to schedule an appointment you may call 651-201-7900.

What do I need to bring with me to replace a Driver's License or ID?

Other than knowledge of your Social Security number you do not need to bring any documentation with you to request a duplicate Driver’s License or ID.

Can I renew my Driver's License at your location?

Yes, we can now complete Driver’s License renewals at our location! Please complete the online application and have the confirmation available before stopping in to save time.

What's the difference between the difference licenses available?

There are three Minnesota driver’s licenses currently available Standard, REAL, and Enhanced. Most Minnesota residences currently have a Standard driver’s license which are good until October 2020 at which time if you choose to fly domestically within the US you will need to have either a REAL DL, Enhanced DL, or a passport to board a plane. You are not required to switch over if you have no intentions on traveling via plane. Then, there is REAL and Enhanced DL/ID’s both of which will allow you to board a place after October 2020. The difference is that for an additional $15 the Enhanced DL/ID’s are dual-purpose card(s) designed for the user’s convenience. In addition to serving as a typical driver’s license, the card allows a Minnesota resident to re-enter the U.S. at its land or seaports when returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean.

Please click here to see a Driver’s License-Identification comparison chart.

Do you offer Enhanced Driver's License services?

We now offer Enhanced Driver’s License and ID services between 8am and 4pm during the weekdays*. To apply for an EDL or EID please click here and carefully review the requirements on what to bring when applying. Beware that wait times in office as well as wait times to receive cards may take longer than usual due to the new driver’s license system. Feel free to Pre-Apply for a Driver’s License or ID and print your confirmation before stopping in.

*Due to time restrictions you must be at the counter by 4pm for service.

When can I get the Real ID?

We now offer REAL driver’s license and ID’s at our location! However, beware that wait times in office as well as wait times to receive cards may take longer than usual due to the new driver’s license system. Please click here and carefully review all requirements on what to bring when applying for the REAL ID. Feel free to Pre-Apply for a Driver’s License or ID and bring your confirmation page before stopping in.

Minnesota has an extension for REAL ID enforcement, allowing Federal agencies to accept driver’s licenses and identification cards from Minnesota at Federal facilities, nuclear power plants and federally regulated commercial aircraft until October 1, 2020.

What will I pay if I renew early to get a REAL ID?

There will be a fee, in addition to the standard cost of the card, for early renewal based on how many months the REAL ID is obtained before a person’s driver’s license or ID card expires:
•    $2 for a renewal 17 months early.
•    $4 for a renewal 18-29 months early.
•    $6 for a renewal more than 29 months early.
The standard cost for a REAL ID is the same as for a standard driver’s license or ID card.
•    REAL ID driver’s license: $25.25.
•    REAL ID identification card: $19.25.

For Frequently Asked Questions on the REAL ID please click here.

Can I reinstate my Driver's License at your location?

Unfortunately not, to reinstate your driver’s license please reference an exam station such as Arden Hills on costs and requirements to reinstate your driver’s license. Their address is 5400 Old Hwy 8, Arden Hills, MN 55112 on 35W N and County H.

How much will it cost to transfer a vehicle?

The transfer fee is based on the age and the amount paid for the vehicle. If you’d like to stop in with your vehicle identification number (VIN) or plate number we would be glad to calculate the fees for you or for a list of general title transfer fees you may also click here.

I just moved here from out of state, what do I need to register my vehicle?

You will need your title*, insurance company, policy number, and policy expiration date (MM/DD/YYYY). Electronic insurance information accepted. If there is a loan on the vehicle we will need your lien holder’s name, street address, city, state and zip code as well as the date of loan (MM/DD/YYY). Please click here to sign and complete the Application To Title beforehand. If all owners are unable to come in please ensure they sign the bottom of Application to Title beforehand and have a copy of the front and back of their driver’s license with.

* If you have no title, you may bring your current out of state registration card.

I lost my Minnesota title, how may I get another one?

The registered owner(s) will need to apply for a duplicate title. Click here for a Duplicate Title Application to complete beforehand. If necessary, we can look up the owner with a driver’s license or vehicle plate number. In many circumstances duplicate titles may be available for issuance right away in-office.

I've sold a vehicle how can I report the sale?

Please have your Seller’s Notice of Sale on hand and complete it online here.

I paid off my loan and have a lien release, now what?

In Minnesota regardless if you took out a loan for your vehicle or not you should have received a Minnesota title in the mail.

If you have both your Minnesota title and lien release in hand you have two options. First, you can staple the title and lien together and put it in a safe place. Should you choose to sell or trade it in etc. you just have to hand both over. Your second option is to submit the title and lien release in to request a clean title from the state and pay a filing fee. We will take the originals and give you copies. You should then see the clean title in the mail in approximately a month or so.

If you’ve lost your title please complete an application for a duplicate title and bring both the form and the lien release in. We’ll go ahead and release the lien at the time we order the duplicate title. Again fee's may be applied to this transaction.

What do I need to bring with me to get a hunting or fishing license?

To purchase a hunting or fishing license, regardless of your age, you must either have your SSN on your DNR customer file or provide your SSN as part of your license application along with a State ID. If you have a SSN but refuse to provide it, you will be denied a hunting or fishing license.

To learn more please visit: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/hunting or 651-296-6157

Why are the wait times and lines so long?

At the moment Deputy Registrars are trying to keep wait times to a minimum however, this is difficult with the new state’s Minnesota Licensing and Registration System. MNLARS has made it so that even the most simple transactions take anywhere from 5-20 minutes at a time because much of the data work is completed up front while the customer is in-office. We are actively working as efficiently and accurately as possible and appreciate your patience at this time.

On October 1st, 2018 a brand new driver’s license system and state issued camera became available at our location allowing us to offer REAL DL/ID and Enhanced DL/ID’s. During this period of transition we aim to work at a pace that will ensure the accuracy of the information entered and accepted. Again, we appreciate your patience and ask that you ensure you have all the necessary items needed for your transaction.

Do you offer notary services?

Yes, we offer notary services at an extra charge of $5 each time we sign your document.

Do you take disability applications and renewal forms at your office?

Yes, we do. Please have the disability application or card thoroughly signed and completed ahead of time. As long as it is complete then anyone may stop in to turn it in for that person.

Can I transfer my special plate now?

Yes, MNLARS is now capable of transferring special plates. Please fill out the Special Plate Application before stopping in to complete your transfer.

Can I get a duplicate marriage license or birth certificate at your location?

No, we do not offer those services at our location please visit the Minnesota Department of Health Certificates and Records for information on forms and locations.