An appointment is required and the minor applicant must appear in person.
Applicants Age 15 and Younger
All passport applicants age 15 and under must apply in person using Form DS-11 with BOTH parents. If the applicant had a previous passport, they must submit the old passport and their original birth certificate.
Passports for applicants 15 and younger are only valid for 5 years.
Applicants 16 and 17
Applicants age 16 and 17 must apply in person using Form DS-11 and must be accompanied by one parent.
Passports for applicants 16 and older are valid for 10 years.
The following are the requirements for minor applicants whether they are a first time applicant or have had a previous passport:
- Completed DS-11 Passport Application Form (single-sided with black ink*)
- Applicant’s full Social Security number required on form
- Proof of citizenship (copy and original required)
- Previous passport book/card (if applicable)
- Proof of identity (front and back copy and original required)
- BOTH parents must be present and show their proof of identity for any child under 16. If one parent cannot make it please include an original Statement of Consent form with a front and back driver’s license copy of the parent unable to attend.
- Applicants ages 16 and 17 must have one parent present to sign the application and show a valid ID.
- Passport photo—one 2 inch by 2 inch color photo with a solid white background. Photos can be taken at the New Brighton Passport Office for $15.
- Passport fees—each applicant should have separate checks payable to the U.S. Department of State and the City of New Brighton.
- U.S. Department of State fee: Check or money order only. Credit/debit cards NOT accepted.
- A separate check is required for each application
- City of New Brighton fee: Check, money order, or cash only. Credit/debit cards accepted with a 2.49% fee.
- All returned checks payable to the City of New Brighton are subject to a $30.00 charge.
*Applications MUST be filled out in black ink. If pencil or another color is used, you will be required to fill out a new application.
Applying for a child's passport
Applying in person for a U.S. passport