Do I need a permit?

The City enforces the Minnesota State Building Code. The Community Development Department provides interpretation of the codes and issues building permits for construction and inspection services. Whenever you build, enlarge, alter, repair, convert, demolish, or move a building, a permit is required. Most Plumbing, Mechanical and Electrical Permits can be issued at City Hall or online. Building Permits that involve plan review generally take up to 7 to 10 working days before they can be issued. Smaller projects take less time; some may be issued immediately. Large projects can take up to 2 weeks or more for plan review. (Remember, always call before you dig: visit Gopher State One Call.) If you are still not sure if you need a permit, email the Building Department or call 651-638-2050.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit?
2. What happens if I do work without a permit?
3. I received a notification that my permit expired, but the project is not completed: What should I do?
4. When do I need a building permit?
5. What building work can I do without a permit?
6. When do I need an electrical permit?
7. Who can apply for an electrical permit?
8. I am a homeowner: can I do my own electrical work?
9. When do I need a mechanical permit?
10. What mechanical work can I do without a permit?
11. When do I need a plumbing permit?
12. What plumbing work can I do without a permit?
13. What do I need zoning or public works approval on?
14. What if I have an emergency repair?
15. Do you have "how-to" guides for online permitting?
16. I submitted my permit application: how do I pay?
17. Who should I send RPZ reports to?