I paid off my car loan and have a lien release - now what?

In Minnesota, regardless if you took out a loan for your vehicle or not, you will receive a Minnesota title in the mail.

If you have both your Minnesota title and lien release in hand, you have two options:

  • Option 1: Staple the title and lien together and put it in a safe place. Should you choose to sell or trade it, you just have to hand both over.
  • Option 2: Stop in to submit the title and lien release to the State to request a clean title. There will be a filing fee charged. Please ensure the address on the title is your most current address.

If you lost your title please complete an application for a duplicate title (PDF), and bring both the form and the lien release in. We will release the lien when we order the duplicate title. (Fees may be applied to this transaction.)

For further information visit the Department of Public Safety (DPS) website or contact the DPS at 651-297-2126.

Show All Answers

1. I usually renew my tabs online or by mail, isn’t that easier?
2. I don't have my renewal notice: can I still buy tabs?
3. What do you accept for insurance on title transfers and tab renewals?
4. My tabs are lost, stolen, or never received. What can I do?
5. My plate(s) are lost or stolen! What can I do?
6. My Minnesota title is missing or never received. How can I get one?
7. I just moved here from out of state: what do I need to register my vehicle?
8. How much does it cost to transfer a vehicle?
9. I paid off my car loan and have a lien release - now what?
10. I've sold a vehicle - how do I report the sale?
11. Can I transfer my special plates to a new vehicle?
12. How can I find out what I paid last year for my tabs?
13. How can I reach the state with addition driver/vehicle questions?