My plate(s) are lost or stolen! What can I do?

Bring in your ID and plate number. We can issue you a new set of plates.

If you are not the registered owner, you will need to have an Authorization Form (PDF) completed along with a live ink signature by the owner.

To streamline the process, please complete the Application for Duplicate Plates and/or Stickers form (PDF) before your visit.

If you believe your plates were stolen, we advise you to report them to your local Public Safety department.

Show All Answers

1. I usually renew my tabs online or by mail, isn’t that easier?
2. I don't have my renewal notice: can I still buy tabs?
3. What do you accept for insurance on title transfers and tab renewals?
4. My tabs are lost, stolen, or never received. What can I do?
5. My plate(s) are lost or stolen! What can I do?
6. My Minnesota title is missing or never received. How can I get one?
7. I just moved here from out of state: what do I need to register my vehicle?
8. How much does it cost to transfer a vehicle?
9. I paid off my car loan and have a lien release - now what?
10. I've sold a vehicle - how do I report the sale?
11. Can I transfer my special plates to a new vehicle?
12. How can I find out what I paid last year for my tabs?
13. How can I reach the state with addition driver/vehicle questions?