My tabs are lost, stolen, or never received. What can I do?

Bring in your ID and plate number. We can issue you a new set of tabs. There may be fees involved.

If you are not the registered owner, you will need to have an Authorization Form (PDF) completed along with a live ink signature by the owner.

To streamline the process, please complete the Application for Duplicate Plates and/or Stickers form (PDF) before your visit.

If you ordered your tabs online or by mail, don’t wait more than 30 days.   It definitely should not take that long!

Show All Answers

1. I usually renew my tabs online or by mail, isn’t that easier?
2. I don't have my renewal notice: can I still buy tabs?
3. What do you accept for insurance on title transfers and tab renewals?
4. My tabs are lost, stolen, or never received. What can I do?
5. My plate(s) are lost or stolen! What can I do?
6. My Minnesota title is missing or never received. How can I get one?
7. I just moved here from out of state: what do I need to register my vehicle?
8. How much does it cost to transfer a vehicle?
9. I paid off my car loan and have a lien release - now what?
10. I've sold a vehicle - how do I report the sale?
11. Can I transfer my special plates to a new vehicle?
12. How can I find out what I paid last year for my tabs?
13. How can I reach the state with addition driver/vehicle questions?