What do I need zoning or public works approval on?

The following projects do not require a building permit but may require Zoning or Public Works approval:

  • Retaining walls not over four feet in height (height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall) unless supporting a surcharge (which may include buildings, pools, parking areas, streets, alleys, sidewalks, or other loads). It is suggested that you have a site plan review even for walls under four feet in height.
  • Fences not over seven feet in height
  • One-story detached accessory structures not exceeding 200 square feet
  • Detached decks and platforms not more than 30 inches above grade that do not provide access to a dwelling
  • Sidewalks, walkways, and driveways on private property that are not part of an accessible route
  • Prefabricated, above-ground swimming pools not exceeding 5,000 gallons and a 24-inch depth
  • Playground equipment

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit?
2. What happens if I do work without a permit?
3. I received a notification that my permit expired, but the project is not completed: What should I do?
4. When do I need a building permit?
5. What building work can I do without a permit?
6. When do I need an electrical permit?
7. Who can apply for an electrical permit?
8. I am a homeowner: can I do my own electrical work?
9. When do I need a mechanical permit?
10. What mechanical work can I do without a permit?
11. When do I need a plumbing permit?
12. What plumbing work can I do without a permit?
13. What do I need zoning or public works approval on?
14. What if I have an emergency repair?
15. Do you have "how-to" guides for online permitting?
16. I submitted my permit application: how do I pay?
17. Who should I send RPZ reports to?