A passport renewal can be completed by mail via Form DS-82 if you can say "yes" to all of the following statements:
- I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card with this application.
- I was at least 16 years old when my most recent U.S. passport book and/or passport card was issued.
- I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book and/or passport card less than 15 years ago (expired less than 5 years).
- The U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card that I am renewing have not been mutilated, damaged, lost, stolen or subsequently found.
- My U.S. passport has not been limited from the normal ten-year validity period due to passport damage/mutilation, multiple passport thefts/losses, or non-compliance with 22 C.F.R. 51.41. (Please refer to the back pages of your U.S. passport book for endorsement information).
- I use the same name as on my most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card or I have had my name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper certified documentation to reflect my name change.
If you are eligible to renew by mail via Form DS-82 and you need a new passport photo walk-ins are accepted. However, if you are not eligible to renew by mail because you answered "no" to any of the statements above please schedule an appointment online.
View a How to renew a passport video
For more renewal information please visit Travel.State.Gov.