New Brighton passport office is an official acceptance facility approved by the U.S. Department of State and open to the public. Although an appointment is recommended we do accept walk-ins upon availability. Those who simply need a photo such as for a DS-82 Passport Renewal (PDF) are welcome to walk in.
Routine processing takes 8 to 11 weeks. Expedited processing is an additional $60 and takes 5 to 7 weeks. Processing times begin the day the State Department receives your application, not the day you mail your application or apply for a passport at a local acceptance facility. For faster service, you can pay for 1-2 day delivery of your application there and/or pay for 1-2 day delivery of your new passport book.
A passport is a document, issued by the federal government, which certifies the identity and nationality of the passport holder. A passport has two forms:
- Passport Book: can be used for all air, land, and sea travel.
- Passport Card: can be used to travel to and return from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports of entry. The Passport card can also be used to board aircraft for domestic travel, but cannot be used for international air travel.
To apply for a passport book or card, all applicants must schedule an appointment and apply in person at an authorized Passport Acceptance Facility; however, there are also special requirements for minor applicants age 15 and younger.
- First Time Applications
- Renewal Applications (For applicants not eligible for renewal by mail)
- Replacement of Damaged, Lost or Stolen Passports
- Passport Photos: Printed and digital photos available!
Passport photos must meet U.S. Department of State requirements and can be taken at the New Brighton Passport Office. Currently, we offer printed passport photos but now offer digital passport photos as well! No appointment is required for photo-only requests.
- ID Cards @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Immigration documents
- International Driver's Licenses
- Press releases @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Security Badges
- Visas @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
For the status of your passport application, response to a letter or email, or other passport questions visit Travel State website or contact the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778 or TDD/TTY at 888-874-7793.