Tap Water

The water is treated at four state-of-the-art water treatment facilities that remove chemical solvent contamination and naturally occurring iron and manganese. The New Brighton water system contains 92 miles of water mains, over 5,700 water service connections, 950 water main valves, and 846 fire hydrants. The City's four water towers have a combined water storage capacity of 2.75 million gallons. Chlorine and fluoride are added to the water for disinfection and dental hygiene.

New Brighton has grown from a small farming community of 500 people in 1930, experiencing very rapid growth in the 60s, to around 22,000 people today. The average daily water usage of the City today is about 2.75 million gallons, but it can peak at over nine million gallons on very hot dry summer days due to lawn sprinkling.

To report and issue or concern/view other related pages:

  1. Private Water Service

The Private Water Service consists of all the components connected to the Public Water Main. These components are as follows:

  • Corporation Valve - the connection device of the private service line to the larger water main
  • Curb stop and standpipe - this is the valve that shuts the water off to the property and is located on or near the property line
  • Private Water Service Line - this is the copper pipe (can also be plastic or other materials) which extends from the larger watermain into the home.
  • The shut off valves on either side of the water meter
  • The water meter is owned by the property owner, but will be maintained by the city and cover repairs and maintenance due to normal wear. Freezing service lines to replace valves or internal plumbing is the responsibility of the homeowner.

In most cases the problems found relating to the Private Water Service are water leaks. These leaks are the property owner's responsibility to correct, and upon discovery the city will require that the repair(s) be made quickly.

Other frequent problems are issues with the curb stop and/or the connected standpipe. When a property owner needs/requests the water service to be shut off for internal plumbing work, the city will locate and operate the external curb stop. In some cases, it might not be possible to turn this valve due to corrosion or a bent standpipe, which interferes with its operation. In either of these cases it will be the property owner's responsibility to correct it.

Some curb stops are located in a driveway. When repairs to the standpipe are corrected, the city will provide the property owner with a device to make a more permanent repair. It will be the property owner's responsibility to hire a contractor to excavate the site to make the repair. If the valve needs to be replaced, the contractor will be required to obtain an Outside Sewer and Water Permit. If just the standpipe is repaired or replaced, there is no permit or inspection required.

  1. Protect Your Water Service From Freezing
  1. Wellhead Protection
  1. Lawn Sprinkling Restrictions & Policy
  1. Rusty Water, Taste & Odor Problems
  1. Consumer Confidence Reports
  1. Water Conservation & What You Can Do
  1. Hydrant Flushing & Maintenance