The City of New Brighton and Ramsey County are planning to improve Old Highway 8 from County Road D to 5th Street NW. The proposed improvements include converting Old Highway 8 to a 3-lane roadway, rehabilitating the existing pavement, and constructing a multi-use trail to provide pedestrian and bike connectivity throughout the corridor. The proposed improvements are intended to update the corridor to reflect current traffic volumes and implement the recommendation of Ramsey County's 4-to-3 Lane Conversion Study. Learn more about the study, which was completed in 2020. Project benefits include improved road safety, improved pavement conditions, and better accommodations for pedestrians and bicyclists. In addition to the Old Highway 8 improvements, 8th Avenue NW will be extended approximately 500 feet to 5th Street NW.
Phase I Completed 2021
- Replacement of existing roadway pavement
- Concrete curb and sidewalk repair and replacement
- Construction of a new asphalt trail along the east side of Old Highway 8 between 5th Street and 8th Avenue
- Installation of a new permanent traffic signal at Old Highway 8 and 8th Avenue
- Fire hydrant replacement
- Installation of a new sanitary sewer along 8th Avenue between Old Highway 8 and 10th Street