Rooftop Solar Checklist
This checklist is modeled after the framework provided by the Great Plains Institute, the Solar ABCs, and the best practices of the Solsmart Program.
Instructions: Submit all required information on this checklist, plans, and accompanying information with online application.
- Building Permit
- Electrical Permit
- Construction detail and site plan (PDF) showing location of major components on the property and a framing cross-section that identifies type of support (rafter or truss), spacing, span dimension, and approximate roof slope (see Appendix 1 [PDF] for example)
- Electrical diagram showing photovoltaic (PV) array configuration, wiring system, overcurrent protection, inverter, disconnects, required signs, and air condition (AC) connection to building (see Appendix 2 [PDF] for examples)
- Specification sheets and installation manuals (if available) for all manufactured components including, but not limited to, PV modules, inverter(s), combiner box, disconnects, and mounting system. If there is no installation manual available, fill out Appendix 3 (PDF).
- Proof of Structural Compliance. Potential resources include, but are not limited to:
- MN Department of Labor and Industry: "Standardized Load Tables Characterizing Residential Solar Thermal and Solar Electric Installations For Residential Structures in Minnesota"
- See Appendix 3 (PDF) "Structural Review of PV Installation Mounting System and Roof"
- MN‐Licensed Structural Engineering Study Application Submittal. Complete and thorough applications for rooftop solar PV permits will be processed in 5 to 10 business days. The permit application may be submitted for review online.
Associated Fees. The city accepts payments in the form of Check/Credit Card.
Electrical Permit Fee: See fee schedule.
Building Permit Fee: $100 flat rate
Note: Additional information may be requested during the review process.