Join Our Team
The City of New Brighton is an equal opportunity employer. Job announcements are posted on the City’s webpage and advertised in local papers. Open positions will be listed below. Applicants are required to fill out the City Application and submit them by the deadline indicated. Human Resources questions can be directed to (651) 638-2046.
803 Old Hwy 8 NW
New Brighton, MN 55112
The City of New Brighton has an opening for a full-time police officer. Specific job expectations and requirements are identified in the job description. Successful candidates must successfully complete the interview evaluation process, background check, psychological exam, and physical fitness exam that are required for this position.
- Associates Degree in Law Enforcement
- P.O.S.T. License Certified or Able to Obtain by Date of Hire (Estimated to be October 2nd, 2017)
- Emergency Medical Responder Certified
- Able to Successfully Complete a Background Investigation and the One Year Probationary Period
*Please submit Resume and Cover Letter along with application.
To develop, direct, and provide ongoing leadership for a comprehensive parks and recreation system that will guide day to day decision making and provide direction for future planning and development of recreation programs, park facilities and urban forest management.
To actively participate as an interested, engaged, and contributing member of the senior leadership team and serve as team resource in areas of developed expertise.
- Exercises a leadership style that promotes collaboration, appropriate staff initiative and creates individual growth opportunities for understanding the basics of the parks and recreation function for which responsible.
- Establishes those operating policies, practices, procedures and controls required to manage the City’s parks and recreation system including, but not limited to: facilitating the strategic planning process, planning, presentation and implementation of approved designs, projects and programs, and the programmatic/physical maintenance of existing department services.
- Manages operations of the Parks and Recreation department in a manner that provides consistently high quality, prompt and friendly customer service.
- Prepares, submits and administers an approved annual budget including the controls necessary to ensure budgetary compliance including cost controls, sensitivity to program and facility fees, and careful evaluation of programs.
- Leads the development of strategic planning, including the development of the Work Plan, for the department as part of the larger process to establish a vision, long term goals and priorities for the City.
- Manages and directs park, recreation and urban forestry maintenance to ensure the entire park system and urban forest are maintained in a safe, high quality and aesthetically pleasing condition.
- Serves as a City representative in presenting, explaining and discussing the views, interests and policies of the City to the Council, Parks, Recreation and Environmental Commission, City task forces and other interested parties inside and outside the community.
- Prepares reports and studies for the City Manager and Council as scheduled or requested
- Performs other job-related responsibilities as apparent or directed by the City Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Park and Recreation Administration or closely-related field
- Minimum of seven years experience in Park and Recreation field
- Three years experience in management role
- Previous experience in municipal facility and community center management
- Previous experience in creating and implementing recreational programs
Desired Selection Criteria to Qualify for This Position:
- Master’s degree in Public Administration or advanced degree in Parks and Recreation Administration
- Previous experience in community outreach activities related to the development of parks and recreational programs
New Brighton Parks and Recreation Job Openings: Part-Time 2017
New Brighton Parks and Recreation is now accepting applications for part-time employment. Applicants should be 16 years of age, unless otherwise noted. The City of New Brighton does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or handicap status in employment of provision services.
Past employment does not guarantee a position with the New Brighton Parks and Recreation Department for the coming season.
Applications must be filled out completely and returned to the below address:
Umpires for Youth Softball/ T-ball (1 position)
Season: Approx. mid-June – mid-August. Games held on Monday and Wednesday evenings. Must have knowledge of softball rules and be able to work with youth and parents. League stresses basic skills and having fun. You will have to attend a training session offered by New Brighton Parks and Recreation department.
Youth Softball Coach & Youth Softball Coach- Lead(1-2 positions)
Season: Mid-June- mid-August. Responsible to teach 4 & 5 year old boys and girls basic T-ball skills and techniques. T-Ball Roundup will run Wednesday & Thursdays from 6:00pm-8:00pm (1 hour classes).
Water Safety Instructor Highview Middle School Pool
Season: All seasons available: School year – evenings and weekends, Summer – weekdays, evenings and weekends. Must have current WSI certificate. Teaching and lifeguard experience preferred. Responsibilities include: Safety, teaching infant thru level 6 & adult Red Cross lessons.
Lead Water Safety Instructor Highview Middle School Pool
$15.63-$17.37/hr 5-28 hours/week – Applications taken year round
Season: All seasons available: School year – evenings and weekends, Summer – weekdays, evenings and weekends. Must have Red Cross WSI certification, lifeguard certification, teaching and lifeguard experience. Responsibilities include teaching infants through adult Red Cross lessons, lifeguarding, some specialty instruction, plus onsite supervision of WSI, Aide, and Lifeguard staff.
Water Aerobics Instructor Highview Middle School Pool
$17.04-$18.93/hr 2-6 hours/week – Applications taken year round
Season: All seasons available: School year – evenings and weekends, Summer – weekday, evenings and weekends. Must have Red Cross Lifeguard certificate and Water Aerobics or Aerobics teaching experience and training. Water Safety Instructor certification preferred.
Lifeguard/ Instructor Aides Highview Middle School Pool
$9.50-$11.05/hr 5-28 hours/week – Applications taken year round
Season: All seasons available: School year – evenings and weekends, Summer – weekdays, evenings and weekends. Must have current Lifeguard Training or have successfully completed a Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Aide class. Duties include: safety supervision, assisting teaching swim lessons and assisting people in the locker rooms.
Group Fitness Instructor or Sub/ Personal Trainer
$19.88-$31.55/hr 5-20 hours/week – Applications taken year round
Qualified applicants show strength, stamina and agility to perform demonstrations and assisting others with proper use of the fitness equipment, lead group training and group fitness classes. Base hours for clientele are M-Fri 6:00am-10:00pm, Saturday 8:00am- 10:00pm. Certification in Health and Wellness programming and at least two years experience planning, presenting and evaluating personal training services. American Council on Exercise (ACE) current certification and current First Aid/CPR certification, or acceptable alternatives to the above qualifications.
Soccer Instructor & Official
$15.63-$17.37/hr 2-6 hours/week, weekday evenings – Applications taken year round
Season: All seasons available: evenings and weekends, summer daytime. Responsibilities include teaching 4-12 year old boys and girls soccer skills, techniques and rules. High school or college soccer experience preferred.
$15.63-$17.37/hr Approx 2-4 hours/week
General hours: Monday evenings 5:30-9:30pm. Duties include teaching gymnastics skills to 4-12 year old children. Responsibilities include supervising children, spotting and demonstrating beginning and intermediate skills. Equipment used includes mats, bars, balance beam and vault. Experience in high school or college gymnastics preferred. Teaching experience preferred but not required.
$9.95-$11.05/hr 10-15 hrs./week – Applications taken year round
Hours include evening, weekend and holiday hours. Duties include: Supervising visitors to the Community Center, specifically the Eagles Nest Indoor Playground, gymnasium and Fitness Center in a manner that ensures safe, fun experiences for children and adults.
To be a creative, innovative individual who will use their talents to create unique programs and services that encourage participation for a clientele of very diverse ages and abilities. Instructors are responsible within their field of expertise for creating group classes for clients that are goal-driven, safe and fun with an emphasis on customer service (in accordance with fitness organization guidelines such as American Council on Exercise (ACE), (NASM), National Exercise Trainers Association (NETA), American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and others.
- Ability to lead groups, design classes through an accredited fitness program
- Work cooperatively with Recreation Supervisor to create specialized marketing campaigns to benefit offerings.
- Plan and implement seasonal Personal Training and Group Fitness schedules with Recreation Supervisor
- Ongoing training and certification upkeep
- Collaboration and cross promotion within Parks & Recreation programming
- Submit seasonal program participant evaluations and meet budget participant expectations
- Ongoing communication with Recreation Supervisor regarding supplies, certifications, participant evaluations, etc.
- CPR Certification upkeep, annual City training and Health & Fitness Expo.
- Background related to Health, Fitness, Dance or Group Certifications
- Ability to train and assess participants in all levels of abilities for safety.
- Ability to communicate with all ages.
- Ability to handle duties in a manner that creates positive relationships with coworkers, participants and City.
Selection Criteria to Qualify for This Position:
- Personal Training Certificate
- CPR and First Aid
To plan and implement swim lessons for infants through adults, advancement to Lead Water Safety Instruction and Water Exercise possible. Lessons are held at Highview Middle School Pool, 2300 7th Street NW, New Brighton. September through May pool schedule: Monday through Friday 5pm-10pm, Saturdays 8am-4pm. Summer Schedule: Monday through Thursday 8am-9pm, occasional makeups on Fridays.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide onsite safety and training for participants
2. Plan and implement seasonal lesson plans and promote program
3. In-service training and evaluation of instructor aids.
4. Supply inventory
5. Ongoing communication with site lead and direct supervisor.
- Ability to train patrons in all levels of Red Cross or equivalent swim lessons.
- Ability to communicate with all ages.
- Ability to handle duties assigned in a manner that creates positive relationships with staff, coworkers, participants, parents and school district.
Desirable Training and Experience
0 – 1 years of experience lifeguarding and/or water safety instruction.
CPR Certification and Water Safety Instruction Certificate.
Youth Sports Instructors run camps and training sessions aimed at teaching participants basic to intermediate sports skills while keeping main focus on participation and enjoyment. Responsibilities include: maintaining a safe environment for staff and participants, planning fun and age appropriate sport related activities and games each week, communicating frequently with parents and participants, keeping sessions running continuously and smoothly, and being professional, positive and friendly while interacting with staff and customers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Know, understand, follow and enforce all program policies, rules and regulations.
- Organize, lead, and monitor sports related activities for all ages and abilities.
- Motivate participants and be enthusiastic and outgoing.
- Maintain focused attention on instruction; never leave children unattended.
- Maintain an orderly, friendly, clean and safe environment for participants and staff.
- Responsible for attending all trainings, workshops, and staff meetings.
- Demonstrate and evaluate skills, providing each student with both positive and corrective feedback.
- Ensure a positive learning environment while maintaining class control.
- Assists in keeping records and preparing reports such as attendance, incident and accident reports.
- Adhere to work schedule and hours assigned.
- Ask for help and guidance when needed.
- Communicate with customers in a professional manner. Refer any unresolved issues to the Supervisor.
- Maintain a professional appearance at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Typical Physical Requirements for This Position:
- Stand for extended periods.
- Move/jog with children during camp.
- Hear noises and distress signals (tornado/server storm siren) in an outdoor environment.
- Communicate effectively with people in normal, loud and stressful situations, including projecting one’s voice across distance.
- Perform basic soccer skills to demonstrate to students.
- Move and/or lift materials and/or equipment.
Selection Criteria to Qualify for This Position:
- Have a background in sports; understand the rules, and the technical and tactical aspects of the game.
- Possess current American Red Cross Adult, Child & Infant CPR, First Aid and AED Essentials certifications through duration of employment.
- Possess patience, persistence, initiative and a positive attitude.
- Possess strong leadership, public relations, communications and decision-making skills.
- Possess the ability to maintain self-control in stressful situations.
- Possess the ability to work under limited supervision.