Join Our Team
The City of New Brighton is an equal opportunity employer. Job announcements are posted on the City’s webpage and advertised in local papers. Open positions will be listed below. Applicants are required to fill out the City Application and submit them by the deadline indicated. Human Resources questions can be directed to (651) 638-2046.
803 Old Hwy 8 NW
New Brighton, MN 55112
EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Position: Maintenance Worker
The City of New Brighton has an opening for a full-time Public Works Maintenance Worker position in the Department of Community Assets and Development. This position is responsible for the repair and maintenance the City’s infrastructure of sewer lines, lift stations, water lines and streets in a manner that helps ensure uninterrupted services to New Brighton residential and commercial property owners.
Hours: Monday – Friday 7:00 am – 3:00 pm
(Subject to Evening and Weekend Emergency Call-Outs)
FLSA Status: Full-time, non exempt position; Member of the Teamsters Local 320 Union.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- High School or GED equivalent
- Must hold a valid Class B commercial driver’s license with air brake and tanker endorsements or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire
- Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time and to perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions (Please Refer to the Attached Functional Job Description)
- Ability to work overtime, shift changes, or be on-call as necessary or assigned
- Ability to respond to emergency callouts within thirty (30) minutes of notification
- Public Works Certificate or three years of related municipal government experience.
- Previous work experience in general building maintenance, electrical, and plumbing.
- Previous experience with sanitary sewers (lift stations, pipe, or jetter/vacuum units)
- Previous experience with light welding and fabrication
- Previous experience operating medium and/or heavy equipment (e.g. tractor backhoe, skidsteer, wheel loader).
- Previous work related experience in snow removal using trucks, loaders and motor graders.
- Proficient in using a personal computer and operating Microsoft Windows based software programs.
Salary/Benefits: Salary and benefits based upon collective bargaining agreement with Teamsters Local 320.
To Apply: A complete application packet and job description is available below. Qualified candidates may also request an application packet by contacting Lisa Carlton via email or via phone at 651-638-2100. Applications must be received at City Hall no later than 12:00p.m. Wednesday, March 22nd, 2017.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Paid On Call Firefighter
The City of New Brighton has openings for Paid On Call Firefighters in the Public Safety Department. This position is responsible to protect life and property from hazards of fire through fire suppression, administering medical aid, public education, inspections, and other fire prevention duties.
FLSA Status: Part Time/Paid On Call
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Must have a valid Minnesota Driver’s License.
- Entry level firefighter position, no experience necessary.
- Must successfully pass a background investigation, physical and psychological examination and a one year probationary period.
- Must be able to pass an annual physical examination
- Must live or work within a 6 minute response time to the fire station for any alarm
- Ability to obtain the following certifications upon hire:
- Firefighter I,
- Firefighter II,
- Hazardous Material Operational Certification,
- Emergency Medical Responder (EMR)
Salary/Benefits: Salary $14.88 Per Hour
To Apply: A complete application packet and job description by clicking on this link:
Qualified candidates may also request an application packet by contacting Deputy Director Trevor Hamdorf via email or via phone at 651-288-4165. Applications must be received at City Hall no later than 12:00p.m. Wednesday, March 15th, 2017.
All applicants must attend one of two MANDATORY informational meetings to maintain eligibility for the position. The meetings will be held;
Monday, March 27th-7:00pm-8:30pm
Saturday, April 1st -8:00am-9:30am
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Position: Interim Reservation Coordinator
The City of New Brighton has an opening for a Temporary Part Time Interim Reservation Coordinator position in the Parks & Recreation Department. This position is responsible to coordinate facility reservations for the New Brighton Community Center, Brightwood Hills Golf Course and park facilities in a manner that encourages the appropriate use of the City’s facilities for individuals and groups. This is a temporary position from approximately mid-May – mid-August.
Hours: Monday – Friday-Variable
FLSA Status: Temporary Part-Time 30-35 Hours Per Week-Estimated Duration mid-May-mid-August
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Minimum of two years’ experience in direct customer service, coordinating meetings and events, and/or program coordination.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the City may find appropriate and acceptable.
- 2 year degree in Recreation, Parks and Leisure Services; Facility Management; Hospitality and Tourism; Business Administration; or related field.
- Minimum of four years’ experience in direct customer service, coordinating meetings and events, and/or program coordination.
Salary/Benefits: Salary $20.99 Per Hour
To Apply: Click on the Following Link to Download Application Materials: External Interim Reservation Coordinator 2017 Job Posting Package
Applications must be received at City Hall no later than 12:00p.m. Tuesday, March 7th, 2017.
New Brighton Parks and Recreation Job Openings: Part-Time 2017
New Brighton Parks and Recreation is now accepting applications for part-time employment. Applicants should be 16 years of age, unless otherwise noted. The City of New Brighton does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or handicap status in employment of provision services.
Past employment does not guarantee a position with the New Brighton Parks and Recreation Department for the coming season.
Applications must be filled out completely and returned to the below address:
Tennis Instructor (1-2 positions)
Season: Late May-August weekday mornings, afternoons or evenings. Responsible to teach youth and teen tennis lessons including beginners, advanced beginners, intermediates and youth tennis league. Class covers: basic grips, strokes, serves, drills, games, rules, strategy and doubles play. Previous teaching experience preferred but not required.
Ed-Ventures Day Care Coordinator (1 position)
Season: June 1- September 1. General hours: 8:30am-4:30pm, pre-season hours for planning may also be included. Position involves: Supervising Day Care staff and participants. Planning, purchasing supplies, coordinating activities and supervising day trips. Organizing and writing lesson plans for recreation games, arts & craft activities, sports and other programs as assigned for youth ages 5-12 at Freedom Park in New Brighton. Minimum 2 years of college in early childhood, recreation or related field.
Ed-Ventures Summer Day Care Leaders (3 positions)
Season: June 1- September 1. General hours: 6:30am-12:30pm or 12:00pm-6:00pm. Position involves: Planning, coordinating, supervising daycare participants. Staff will be responsible for planning and conducting recreation games, arts, sports, field trips and other activities as assigned for youth ages 5-12 at Freedom Park in New Brighton. Experience working with children’s programs preferred. College experience preferred but not required.
Youth Playground Leader (1 position)
Season: June 12- August 17. General hours: 9:00am- 4:00pm Monday-Thursday. Position includes: Supervising youth participants ages 5-12 years. Playground Leaders will work as a team to plan and implement age appropriate weekly themes, arts and crafts, games and activities for children ages 5-12. Work scheduled hours will be at various park locations. The Playground Leader will work with the Playground Assistants to ensure safe environment for participants at all times. Minimum 18 years of age. Essential functions include: Providing leadership at each scheduled site, provide directions to Playground Assistants and act as a lead with parent communication and supervisors about the program and participant.
Youth Playground Assistants (3 positions)
Season: June 12- August 17. General hours: 9:00am- 4:00pm Monday-Thursday. Playground Assistants will work as a team to plan and implement age appropriate weekly arts and crafts, games and activities for children ages 5 to 12. Work scheduled hours will be at various park locations. Playground Assistants will assist in creating themed events to engage participants. Staff will ensure safe environment for participants at all times. Minimum 16 years of age. Essential functions include: Good leadership and communication skills, experience working with children in structured programs, ability to independently get to program locations as needed.
Umpires for Youth Softball/ T-ball (1 position)
Season: Approx. mid-June – mid-August. Games held on Monday and Wednesday evenings. Must have knowledge of softball rules and be able to work with youth and parents. League stresses basic skills and having fun. You will have to attend a training session offered by New Brighton Parks and Recreation department.
Umpires for Adult Softball (1-3 positions)
Summer season: mid- April – mid- August. Fall season: mid-August – September. Must become sanctioned by USSSA. Previous officiating experience preferred or experience playing high school baseball, college baseball or college softball. Umpires needed for men’s and co-recreational leagues. Game times are 6:00pm and 7:00pm. (8:00pm and 9:00pm late games at Freedom Park).
Youth Softball Coach & Youth Softball Coach- Lead(1-2 positions)
Season: Mid-June- mid-August. Responsible to teach 4 & 5 year old boys and girls basic T-ball skills and techniques. T-Ball Roundup will run Wednesday & Thursdays from 6:00pm-8:00pm (1 hour classes).
Forestry Maintenance (3-4 positions)
Season: May- September. Workers needed for tree and landscape maintenance in New Brighton. Work includes: Mulching, landscape bed construction, watering, weeding/weed whacking, mowing, trimming, planting and other duties as assigned. Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
Rover (2-3 positions)
Season: May- September. Duties include opening and closing Neighborhood Centers, setting up for group reservations, light cleaning of the buildings and parks and other duties as assigned. Must be self-motivated, able to work well with people and able to lift 50 pounds.
Parks/ Public Works Maintenance Employee (5-7 positions) Must be 18 years or older
Season: May- September. Duties include: street repair/utility work, ball field maintenance, cleaning parks, picking up garbage and debris, mowing, weeding/weed whacking, trimming, painting, assisting in construction of various projects, washing vehicles and equipment. Light maintenance of equipment and other duties as assigned. Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
Golf Course Maintenance (1 position) Must be 18 years or older
Season: April- October. 4-8 hours per day. Duties include: all aspects of golf course maintenance such as mowing greens, fairways and roughs, changing cups, watering, painting, grounds clean up and other duties as assigned. Must be able to lift 50 pounds. Understanding the game of golf is a plus.
Golf Course Beverage Cart/Player Assistant (1-2 positions) Must be 18 years or older
Season: May- mid-September. This position requires a customer service oriented person that can work well with people. Duties include: selling beverages and snacks to golfers, pairing up golfers, patrolling golf course to control play, light maintenance such as fixing ball marks on greens or picking range balls and other duties as assigned.
Golf Course Clubhouse Attendant (1 position) Must be 18 years or older
Season: April- mid-October. This position requires excellent customer service skills and computer knowledge. Duties include: customer checkout and registrations, answering phones, scheduling tee times, cleaning clubhouse, general supervision and other duties as assigned. Must be self-motivated, willing to do a large variety of tasks and ability to stand for long periods at a time.
Water Safety Instructor Highview Middle School Pool
Season: All seasons available: School year – evenings and weekends, Summer – weekdays, evenings and weekends. Must have current WSI certificate. Teaching and lifeguard experience preferred. Responsibilities include: Safety, teaching infant thru level 6 & adult Red Cross lessons.
Lead Water Safety Instructor Highview Middle School Pool
$15.63-$17.37/hr 5-28 hours/week – Applications taken year round
Season: All seasons available: School year – evenings and weekends, Summer – weekdays, evenings and weekends. Must have Red Cross WSI certification, lifeguard certification, teaching and lifeguard experience. Responsibilities include teaching infants through adult Red Cross lessons, lifeguarding, some specialty instruction, plus onsite supervision of WSI, Aide, and Lifeguard staff.
Water Aerobics Instructor Highview Middle School Pool
$17.04-$18.93/hr 2-6 hours/week – Applications taken year round
Season: All seasons available: School year – evenings and weekends, Summer – weekday, evenings and weekends. Must have Red Cross Lifeguard certificate and Water Aerobics or Aerobics teaching experience and training. Water Safety Instructor certification preferred.
Lifeguard/ Instructor Aides Highview Middle School Pool
$9.50-$11.05/hr 5-28 hours/week – Applications taken year round
Season: All seasons available: School year – evenings and weekends, Summer – weekdays, evenings and weekends. Must have current Lifeguard Training or have successfully completed a Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Aide class. Duties include: safety supervision, assisting teaching swim lessons and assisting people in the locker rooms.
Group Fitness Instructor or Sub/ Personal Trainer
$19.88-$31.55/hr 5-20 hours/week – Applications taken year round
Qualified applicants show strength, stamina and agility to perform demonstrations and assisting others with proper use of the fitness equipment, lead group training and group fitness classes. Base hours for clientele are M-Fri 6:00am-10:00pm, Saturday 8:00am- 10:00pm. Certification in Health and Wellness programming and at least two years experience planning, presenting and evaluating personal training services. American Council on Exercise (ACE) current certification and current First Aid/CPR certification, or acceptable alternatives to the above qualifications.
Soccer Instructor & Official
$15.63-$17.37/hr 2-6 hours/week, weekday evenings – Applications taken year round
Season: All seasons available: evenings and weekends, summer daytime. Responsibilities include teaching 4-12 year old boys and girls soccer skills, techniques and rules. High school or college soccer experience preferred.
$15.63-$17.37/hr Approx 2-4 hours/week
General hours: Monday evenings 5:30-9:30pm. Duties include teaching gymnastics skills to 4-12 year old children. Responsibilities include supervising children, spotting and demonstrating beginning and intermediate skills. Equipment used includes mats, bars, balance beam and vault. Experience in high school or college gymnastics preferred. Teaching experience preferred but not required.
$9.95-$11.05/hr 10-15 hrs./week – Applications taken year round
Hours include evening, weekend and holiday hours. Duties include: Supervising visitors to the Community Center, specifically the Eagles Nest Indoor Playground, gymnasium and Fitness Center in a manner that ensures safe, fun experiences for children and adults.
To plan and implement swim lessons for infants through adults, advancement to Lead Water Safety Instruction and Water Exercise possible. Lessons are held at Highview Middle School Pool, 2300 7th Street NW, New Brighton. September through May pool schedule: Monday through Friday 5pm-10pm, Saturdays 8am-4pm. Summer Schedule: Monday through Thursday 8am-9pm, occasional makeups on Fridays.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide onsite safety and training for participants
2. Plan and implement seasonal lesson plans and promote program
3. In-service training and evaluation of instructor aids.
4. Supply inventory
5. Ongoing communication with site lead and direct supervisor.
- Ability to train patrons in all levels of Red Cross or equivalent swim lessons.
- Ability to communicate with all ages.
- Ability to handle duties assigned in a manner that creates positive relationships with staff, coworkers, participants, parents and school district.
Desirable Training and Experience
0 – 1 years of experience lifeguarding and/or water safety instruction.
CPR Certification and Water Safety Instruction Certificate.
Youth Sports Instructors run camps and training sessions aimed at teaching participants basic to intermediate sports skills while keeping main focus on participation and enjoyment. Responsibilities include: maintaining a safe environment for staff and participants, planning fun and age appropriate sport related activities and games each week, communicating frequently with parents and participants, keeping sessions running continuously and smoothly, and being professional, positive and friendly while interacting with staff and customers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Know, understand, follow and enforce all program policies, rules and regulations.
- Organize, lead, and monitor sports related activities for all ages and abilities.
- Motivate participants and be enthusiastic and outgoing.
- Maintain focused attention on instruction; never leave children unattended.
- Maintain an orderly, friendly, clean and safe environment for participants and staff.
- Responsible for attending all trainings, workshops, and staff meetings.
- Demonstrate and evaluate skills, providing each student with both positive and corrective feedback.
- Ensure a positive learning environment while maintaining class control.
- Assists in keeping records and preparing reports such as attendance, incident and accident reports.
- Adhere to work schedule and hours assigned.
- Ask for help and guidance when needed.
- Communicate with customers in a professional manner. Refer any unresolved issues to the Supervisor.
- Maintain a professional appearance at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Typical Physical Requirements for This Position:
- Stand for extended periods.
- Move/jog with children during camp.
- Hear noises and distress signals (tornado/server storm siren) in an outdoor environment.
- Communicate effectively with people in normal, loud and stressful situations, including projecting one’s voice across distance.
- Perform basic soccer skills to demonstrate to students.
- Move and/or lift materials and/or equipment.
Selection Criteria to Qualify for This Position:
- Have a background in sports; understand the rules, and the technical and tactical aspects of the game.
- Possess current American Red Cross Adult, Child & Infant CPR, First Aid and AED Essentials certifications through duration of employment.
- Possess patience, persistence, initiative and a positive attitude.
- Possess strong leadership, public relations, communications and decision-making skills.
- Possess the ability to maintain self-control in stressful situations.
- Possess the ability to work under limited supervision.